Wednesday, December 13, 2006

you are worth hundreds of [waxwings]


{tree of waxwings, 112st & 77 ave}


{waxwing silhouettes in an elm tree}

When the universe wants to send me flowers, it actually sends me birds.

Not bouquets but flocks, of bohemian waxwings -- even though they aren't usually seen until later in the winter... But they were there, all darting & undulant in little dark waves... Last Friday at 78 ave and 112 st, & the Arts quad at the university, in late afternoon sun the colour of pomegranates, between the elms & spruce & mountain ashes, weaving all over the sky. It's impossible to be too sad when I hear that soft sreeeeeeing of waxwings surrounding me, or I'm feeding a chickadee sunflower seeds from my mittens.

& here is a little mix of some of my favourite bird songs for your listening enjoyment. Just follow the links to download the mp3s. They're on YouSendIt & should stay fresh for about a week.

Eels -- I Like Birds (Daisies of the Galaxy)
Neko Case -- Maybe Sparrow (Fox Confessor Brings the Flood)
Sparklehorse -- Hundreds of Sparrows (Good Morning Spider)
Paris to Kyiv -- Ta i Vylitala Halka (And the crow flies off...) (Fragmenti)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allos!

I recommend "Swallow" by the Wailin' Jennys as another song for the bird list. Because I like... birds!

B.

Anonymous said...

I thought of another one!

"Bird as Prophet"

by Christine Fellows.

Ja.

Anonymous said...

And... "The Littlest Birds" by the Be Good Tanyas.

jenanne said...

ja! i have also been making a list, it may turn into a full-length mixtape...