Tuesday, February 13, 2007

spelunking.



In attempts to avoid doing things I'm supposed to be doing right now, I went spelunking about the forgotten folders & files of my computer. I found things from the summer that make me happy. Item 1: The above pictures, of sunsets coming down from Highwood Pass in Kananaskis just past solstice. Item 2: Tiny fragmenty poem-thing, the equivalent of archaeological pot-sherds. That is all.

[poem-fragment]

came over aeolian plains to nato-oh-siskoom
i am sitting in the holy springs
against the cold glass railings, the shadows
of tamarack, hemlock

blind & soft into the dark, black mountain;
dissolve into the indigo of the sky, wings flutter urgent /
gentle over the envelope of the valley,
comfort of omnipresent rock –

i pretend i’m calm / i pretend i’m permanent.
floating here in the pool,
my heart crashing up again the sky
like the mooncoloured belly of a moth –


[that was written in banff in august in the hot springs pool. well, not written down whilst i was in the pool, but it came then & i remembered it for later. nato-oh-siskoom is the name for banff in siksika (blackfoot) ]

No comments: