Monday, February 04, 2008

constructions of possession

Mt. Sima framed in frosty trees, sunset, Whitehorse, Feb. 2.

Sunset with Mt. Sima in the distance, looking over the frozen Tagà Shäw (Yukon River) with all the ice fog-riverbreath, Whitehorse, Feb. 2/08

A friend who teaches the Southern Tutchone language told me something he really loved about the language was the way in which you would express the sentence 'I have a girlfriend' (or boyfriend) -- Äghajel (Däk'än) ye kanid'a = 'I am walking around with her (him)' (lit. a woman or man)

It's such a lovely image, walking around with someone. None of this possession business, that I have, my this/my that/mine.... just accompanied movement... a togetherness.

1 comment:

Val said...

I have heard that similarly, in some African-Canadian groups in the 1970s, the term was "I'm running with..."

(During a conversation a few years ago, a man told me, "When I was a teenager, we'd use 'running with' where the whites would say 'going steady' ".)