Tuesday, March 25, 2008

i get the space in between.

tulip-beak in my garden, sometime last week.
(I know I took similar pictures last spring, but it never fails to make me strangely giddy when I see the first bulb-flowers pushing up through the soil. I love the pink-tinged beaks of the little tulip that have been digging themselves out from the cozy humid nests of soil like some sort of underground bird, mouth gaping open to take in the sunlight)

These are spring-songs -- not explicitly, but they do carry something very springlike in them. Go & listen, I have put them on yousendit & they are lovely.

Petite Suite: V. Bagpipes -- Béla Bartók (Bartók plays Bartók)

Lovely piano runs, birds hurrying about in the spring. It's all jaunty & has that loping sort of urgency that all Eastern European dances have. (His whole Petite Suite is dances, Ukrainian & Wallachian & whirling.) & I really love this recording of Bartók playing his own pieces, all crackly & gentle. Nagyon szép!

Transliterator -- DeVotchKa (A Mad & Faithful Telling)

More glorious keyboard, jumpy & running around with string-sweeps... it is a brilliant song & I am in love. However, because I am a linguistic dork, this line sticks out & pokes me: You better mean what you say /why don't you say what you mean / I never get anywhere / I get the space in between. It seems to me the narrator is really talking about the process of translation here, not transliteration -- the former deals more with meanings lost in those gaps & gulfs between subjects... whereas transliteration is the switching of alphabets, & doesn't deal so much with semantic fields. However, I don't care, because the song, his voice, makes me rather euphoric, & his use of the word really takes nothing away from that feeling.

2 comments:

Jason Treit said...

Omnireply!

I like Bartók playing a minute of Bartók. I like the other song, too, on first spin – the nod-along keyboard runs, the chagrined vocals. I like your anti-apathy push. I like your take on veg*ism and how it plays across cultures. I like spelling and saying borshch. I like the beet-poem. I like the word victuals. I like the directive taste often.

jenanne said...

thank you for your like-ings!
(that is not a word, but that's okay)

also, borshch is one of my favourite words of all, too...

yay!

& i like 'victuals' too. it sounds so... wholesome. there's also 'comestibles' which is fun to say, but it seems a little more pretentious.