Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the world is everlasting.

birch-shadows on newly hung prayer-flags, my yard, last saturday

tulips like great red teacups, last saturday

I rediscovered this song deep within my musical folders... It is all vintage Regina, silly & endearing, before she got all glossy-sounding. & she has some good advice for us to follow, to simplify things:

Well maybe you should just drink a lot less coffee
And never ever watch the 10 o'clock news
Maybe you should kiss someone nice
Or lick a rock or both

I already avoid the television-news & the coffee, & as for the kissing, 'twould be nice!
& I have licked rocks. It's useful for mineral identification, you know. Quartzite has a pleasant taste...

Regina Spektor -- The Ghost of Corporate Future, Soviet Kitsch (mp3)

I remember once my friend & I concocted a little short film in our heads to this song... I wish I could remember the details better, & whose idea it was... I do recall it being set downtown, and herds of businessmen in suits would be out in the streets, hurrying somewhere... & it would turn out that the place they were so driven to reach was the edge of the swimming pool by city hall... & they would all stop short, waiting, looking a bit confused, & then one would jump in... & the rest would gleefully follow.

No comments: