Saturday, March 14, 2009

draft: part four of a poem not yet finished (though this is the last part).


dried flower bones, near sask. drive, edmonton, january 2009

iv)

i don’t know what moves me
like this, across these fields
like i have travelled them

before, following a crush
of fuzzy lupines, & your voice
stuck like a burr in my mind –

don’t know if it’s a dream
half-remembered, an aching
sightless & cellular

that is telling me i am exactly
where i need to be:
i feel your sweet seed-packets

sewn into the lining of my coat,
old-country nettles catching
on my dress –

a flock of bulbs is lies
eyeless, winter-deep in my skin,
subterranean birds curled in sleep –

onions & crocuses like
nesting dolls shedding a
thousand papery kerchiefs

& i open & i open,
& find you ever
growing there.

5 comments:

Arinn said...

the four parts of this poem are just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. The intent and and thought you give to the natural world builds such a wonderful dreamscape in my mind when I read it. It's part home, part supernatural.

jenanne said...

thank you, arinn!

what you say about the 'part home, part supernatural' feeling makes me glad... that is exactly what i was thinking of -- that indivisibility.

Jason Treit said...

This part strums a band of nerves in the back of my head. Onions & crocuses stanza = pen ultimate.

jenanne said...

mmm, thank you1 i am glad this has caused the zinging of nerves!

AJF said...

sweet seed-packets and fuzzy lupines, cellular mitochondrial aches!

i love it.