Saturday, October 08, 2011

a shop full of stones

Necklaces, September 2011.

So, I finally made an online shop in which I have offered for sale some of the beads I've been making all summer. You can go visit it here, on Etsy, to see more of the above sorts of adornments. Most of the beads and artefacts are things I have gathered or inherited; the only things that are really new are the brass chains (so they are pretty sturdy!) The pieces are all connected to Ukrainian-Carpathian aesthetic; whether made of vintage beads from Ukraine or consisting of more-newly-acquired amber and carnelian, the colours, shapes and forms are all linked to the folklore and material culture of the Hutsuls and their neighbours. I have so many treasures that sit in little wooden boxes in the basement, beads and rocks and trinkets; I wanted to take them out and refashion them, recombine them and let them be worn.

These paintings by Polish painter Kazimierz Sichulski for an idea of the Hutsul women's ornamentation that I am inspired by:


A Hutsul Bridesmaid

HucuƂka, 1906

Hutsul girl with a bouquet of hearts, 1906

No comments: