Monday, November 21, 2005

more toponymy.

On the subject of my last post, I just want to mention that this website-project makes me very, very happy:

GeoNative: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/welcome.html

Not only is it devoted to minority-language toponymy, the entire site is in Euskara (Basque)!

I noticed that they have many names from northern Canada, but are missing most of the prairies... Maybe I should email them with what I've found here.

* Manda -- they have lots on Halq'eméylem -- especially on the Stò:lo River dialect. Just so you know. :)

This site also reminds me that there are so many languages I would like to learn. Too many, perhaps. I need more time! & more space in my brain... it holds three languages fairly well, but if I want to expand the Magyar & Gaidhlig sections... & add at least four more languages, I think it might explode. It already threatens to, sometimes...

I remember once speaking with Bryna about wanting little jump-drives for our brains, so we could save the extra stuff that didn't fit & only upload it when needed. This would be ideal, really.

I am going to blame the Edmonton Public Library & its deliciously expansive music collection for making me want to instantaneously learn Sámi, Suomi, Khalka, & a Chinese language. This week I've been listening to Mari Boine, Angelit & Värttinä, thus wanting to learn the first two languages, as well as throat-singing (Khalka!) & music played on the er-hu (I have a feeling the musician is singing in Mandarin, but I'd rather learn Cantonese, even though the thought of nine tones scares me and intrigues me at once...)

Too many languages! Too deefeecult!




No comments: