Thursday, November 17, 2005

public service announcement.


I just wanted to mention that I just heard the newest song by Cat Power... She will have a new album called "The Greatest" (which is not a greatest hits compilation) out in January, & I am excited.

You can download/hear one of the songs here:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/music.html

It's very elegaic & soothing. I like it much. Her music has always been such a comfort to me. So sweet & cryptic & achy & obtuse.

Songs from her album Moonpix, like 'Metal Heart' and 'Colours & the Kids' are the sort that have inscribed themselves in my aural memory. They are the sort of song you think your subconscious self has actually written, or that you wrote in another life that is a but a slightly distorted echo of this one. Every stanza in 'Colours' could refer to a person I know or have known; this often haunts me. The plaintive Amajor/Dmajor chords often play through my head when certain random things remind me of the song -- the ocean at night, rolling up the cuffs of my jeans, the particular long fingers of a friend of mine, driftwood, a smile, pale blue sky, dry april grass beside a hill.

No comments: