Friday, October 15, 2010

sviristeli!


Yes, more little waxwings, sviristeli,* perching on ash and red-currant trees in the Zalog area of Yakutsk. More of them, because as I said, these creatures make me a wee bit less homesick. I never saw one last year in Scotland, & perhaps that's why I suffered such an acute sense of dépaysement** the whole time.
*that's Russian for waxwing, sviristel'. I don't yet know the word in Sakha.
** new French word I learned that I love... It refers to the sense of disorientation you always feel when not in your home country. It's more than homesickness; it's the feeling of never quite adjusting to living amongst the new scenery, even after you start to feel at home.

3 comments:

Jason Treit said...

Look at the camera-facing ones in the first shot.

LOOK AT DEM.

Arinn said...

oh the first shot is lovely! all the birds in flight with their arcing wings...

jenanne said...

thank you very much! i am rather fond of the first one too. especially with the bright green house in the background.

when they face forward, you really notice their little black berry-thief eyemasks... & i love it when they spread their wings & you see all the waxy strips of colour.