Saturday, September 30, 2006

sweet kernel


{elm in the wind}


{reflecting pool, 115th street & alley near 77 ave}

"Season of mists & mellow fruitfulness." I am not really a fan of Keats but my mama is, she can recite all of "To Autumn". & I like the opening line, & when hementions the sweet kernel of hazelnut shells & being drowsed with poppy fumes & the rosy-hued stubble-fields & the gathering swallows twittering in the skies.

I have been having many photographic adventures lately, carrying my camera in my mitten in the morning & evening to & from school... wind in the dry leaf chimes & the long stiltwalking shadows & all the thick ripe light.

Today I was flipping through a number of Canadian poetry periodicals & kept coming across Sheri Benning's writing. The pieces published were very autumnal & lovely-sad... I have searched for them on the internet but they are nowhere to be found. I did find some of her work here, though, in Forget Magazine, which is rather nifty & Canadian... but for full appreciation, you need to read her seasonal ones. So go find the newest issue of Grain, it has a mixtape on the cover...

A poetry mixtape would be a very, very good idea.

No comments: