Monday, October 09, 2006

car becomes part of landscape.


Yesterday I was at my aunt & uncle's for Thanksgiving dinner, & whilst I was wandering about the acreage I found my mother's old green Datsun -- her first car -- now seemed to be a fancy planter-box for three aspen poplars. With the engine long gone, & the hood removed, three swift-growing trees sprouted in the middle, anchoring the remnants of the car to the ground.

Grass grows tall around it, & lichens have taken up residence on the windshield, nibbling away at the rubber & the rest of this big green rock they've found. I'm sure small creatures are living amongst the tattered foam of the backseat... I know my uncle & aunt won't sacrifice the trees to remove the car, it's been there forever, since it was rendered undriveable by an accident thirty years ago. Slowly the trees will take over, the frame will rust away, swallow up the wheels in grass. It makes me think of part of aTalking Heads song, "(Nothing But) Flowers": This was a shopping mall / Now it's all covered in flowers / You got it, you got it... Once there were parking lots / Now it's a peaceful oasis / You got it, you got it... This was a Pizza Hut / now it's all covered in daisies / You got it, etc...

This trio of trees just reminds me of the earth's powers in reclaiming even the structures & constructions we see as so durable & eternal. As things fell apart nobody paid much attention...


Also, I have added a number of new pictures to my Flickr page, if you are interested in perusing...

No comments: