Sunday, October 08, 2006

photojournal.


This first picture was taken by Bryna, standing on my desk chair as I lie there, writing my SSHRC grant proposal mired in tornado-strewn paper piles & books. This epitomizes my life as of late. I am enjoying school -- moments of academic ecstasy do come. However, I have developed a terrible, exasperated loathing with the process of writing grant proposals. Basically bureaucratic hoops to jump through, written in language drained of life; two pages of stilted explanation worth $17000. & knowing that every autumn of my academic life will mean writing these things in hopes of convincing the ever-stingier, science-business-centric government that my research is worth something, too... I don't know. Maybe it will get less arduous. But now it just seems a little ridiculous. To spend this much time & energy writing these things when one wants to be out there doing fieldwork. Not writing sterile summaries about why their project is super-amazing, blah, etc. & that's when I escape the paper-stacks & go walking until I reach the river valley:


& explore the little trails leading to the sandy banks, past little ravines filled with the twisted branches of viburnum, little jewel-red kalyna-berries against bleached branches, blue sky & the tarnished coins of the trembling aspen, coating everything copper, whispering. I felt so cozy, & so secure, I wanted to bury myself in leaves & have a nap, lie there just listening to the leaves... Air smelling of apples decaying, the spice of wet wood. When I reached the water, there seemed to be no one around on my side of the river, so I sang quite loudly, right there on the bank where I took the photograph. It was very satisfying, wind smoothing the off-notes, covering the roughness of my voice.

Further down and across the bank, I heard a man whistle, his dog splashing into the water. A lone rower sculled down the centre of the river, people walked along the edge, gravel slipping under their feet. But no one ever noticed me, even turned my way. I felt delightfully invisible -- as if when I looked across the river, I looked into a future or a past, and I was unseen because I came from another time. Or perhaps the silt swallowed up the sound, the wind pushing my song back into the woods behind me. It's probably best that no one heard.

No comments: