Tuesday, June 19, 2007

mostly a note to myself.


{rays shining on the vor frelsers kirke, christianshavn, copenhagen, may 25}


{wavy grasses, windmill at the moat at kastellet, copenhagen, may 20}



{chesnut flowers fallen on the cobblestone, copenhagen, may 20}


{lilacs, botanisk laboritorium, copenhagen, june 1}


So, going to Copenhagen piqued my curiousity in Mister Søren Kierkegaard's writings.
I haven't read much yet, but I must say that thus far, he refreshes me. It seems we are kindred spirits on a few points, already, e.g. existentialists who still believe in divine forces do make me Even if he gets a little melodramatic and angsty sometimes, I overall deeply appreciate his focus on emotions and feelings and how they affect our ethics. We are not little rational logic-machines! (I deal with that far too much in academia...) Anyway, currently I am starting with 'The Concept of Anxiety' (because goodness knows, that was written for me) and appreciating statements like:

"[Anxiety is] neither a category of necessity nor a category of freedom; it is entangled freedom, where freedom is not free in itself but entangled, not by necessity, but in itself."

'Freedom entangled in itself', I think, perfectly captures both the panic/dread and yet the anticipation and potential of anxiety. All in all, it resonates.

1 comment:

Val said...

Not Kierkegaard.

But I have posted on my blog about other books I think you might enjoy.