Saturday, June 23, 2007

solstice-time


{irises, my garden...}



{flower shadows, also my garden... perhaps the midsummer tsvit paporoti?}



{ladybug on clematis leaf in the garden}


Happy Midsummer! (slightly post-Solstice, but really, traditional celebrations for the occasion are occuring this whole week...) In honour of the light hours & the presence of the sun, I have been trying to get away from my endless computer work to be outside. Warm mornings and stormy afternoons, and daily running in the river valley, hearing the locusts singing in the grasses, sweet humming of wind in the poplars, feeling as if I am inside a massive green lung at the forest bottom. Playing music again -- I'm rededicating myself to playing oboe: Polovetsian dances, the Largo from New World Symphony, Gymnopédies, the Romance from Eine Kleine... The sound is the colour of warm honey evening light melting the sidewalk, the light that goes on forever, exhaling into the dark before breathing out a sunrise again.

In two months, I'll be up north & the days still won't be getting shorter... though I'm sure mid-August in Whitehorse will already mean yellow leaves, dying fireweed & smoky nights.

Alexander Borodin's Polovetsian Dances from Prince Igor -- the Slovak Philharmonic with Daniel Nazareth, conductor. (click there for mp3!)

No comments: