Saturday, June 16, 2007

wonderful wonderful Copenhagen


{a bicycle patiently waiting for its owner, christianshavn, copenhagen, may 25 i think}


{looking down nyhavn canal, copenhagen, may 20...}


{a swan nibbling the end of a waffle cone, nyhavn canal, copenhagen, june 1}

I am missing Copenhagen now, hyggelig København... missing, among many things:

-- sitting on the edge of Nyhavn canal in the afternoon, talking with conference-people, sun on my face melting my soft is, swinging my legs over the water

-- the walk to the Dansk Polar Centre every morning, over the Knippelsbro, the nine o'clock flock of bicycles swooping down, emerging out of the fog. chats with anyone and everyone, gravel in my shoes, the scent of salt sea & lilacs

-- certain foods, especially my usual breakfast: banana-pear yogourt, hyldeblomst (elderflower) juice, sticky sweet almond pastries, & spiced green tea.

-- swans! & the constant flight of swallows, shrill canopy of calls over the canals.

-- all that intellectual ecstasy at that Italian restaurant, that red wine, smoke in my face & some of the juiciest, most inspiring & honest conversations I've ever had... being with people who are so passionate & sincere about their fields of study... who understand the importance of emotion in academia... this never fails to remind me why I love what I study.

No comments: